Monday, June 7, 2010

figuring out life

I'm sitting in the Career Center at BYU surrounded by other students who don't know what they want to do with their life. The guy directly to my right just stopped reading, "great jobs for Computer Science majors" and picked up "careers in Medicine." Turns out I'm not the only occupational bipolar kid around here.
I'm starting to enjoy figuring out life. Before it was stressing me out but I've realized what an awesome predicament I have. While the majority of the world is wondering how they will pay rent or where their next meal will come from, my problems are, "I have too many interests." and "I have the capacity to be most anything I want to be and therefore don't know which path to choose." I feel bratty and spoiled that these are my current problems but they are. It turns out that this is actually a very common problem (Dr. CS and I aren't the only ones in the career center) and there are tons of interest tests and books and resources out there. The most helpful one I've found is a book by Patrick Combs called "Major in Success." He's made some really good points. He said do whatever you are passionate about. Well Duh. The problem is I don't know what I'm passionate about or my interests change every week. He said that is fine. He said that is what college is about. It's just a big super market of courses and you should try to figure out what interests you. So, that's where I am right now. He suggests thinking of your dream day. Not a day dream but a dream day. He puts out 2 questions. First. What would you love to be paid to do? and second, What would I do if I was certain I couldn't fail?
If I could be paid to do anything, it would be to make people laugh. I really like making people laugh. I've always said that my dream job would be to have a Column similar to Dave Barry. I respect that guy a lot and I want to have his job. Making people laugh would be my dream job.
If I was guaranteed to not fail?
I would try to solve the world's problems. Medical problems, social problems etc. I would try to help people.

No comments:

Post a Comment